Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Video of Saddleback Wind Mountain, Carthage

Ironically, the name of the mountain I'm spending all this time on saving from an industrial wind complex is called Saddleback Wind. Scott shot some nice video over the winter and then edited it down. It is not narrated, but it is labeled. We just like having video of an undeveloped place that may change and we use this at community meetings, etc. There are some beautiful sunset shots at the end.

Saddleback is adjacent to Bald Mountain, a very popular year-round climb with longstanding local and visitor traditions. The turbines would also be clearly visible from Mount Blue State Park, as well as, the recently preserved Tumbledown range (both highly coveted and sentimental recreational areas).

I won't give up the fight, but at times I grow tired of trying to convince people that industrial-scale turbines are not "green" and that the destruction of these special places is not outweighed by the meager benefit to the planet or to the local community. Today, I am not posting this video because I want to convince you of anything. I just want to share a slice of my life here in Vacationland.

2 comments:

  1. You are in such a beautiful spot. One day I'll make it to Maine.

    I'm torn about the whole wind power thing. I'm sure I'd feel differently if it were going to ruin this amazing view, though. By us, they just put them in cornfields, so it doesn't really matter much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got a guest suite with your names on it when you decide to come. :)

    ReplyDelete