Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mother, May I

My sister and I have been talking a lot about the idea of "permission" lately. Our mother is dying and we are both having trouble allowing ourselves time to grieve, time to rest, time with our families, along with, a need to let go of carrying the grief of others.

I can't go too deeply into family dynamics on a public blog, so I will have to keep much of this to my own experience. Recently, I walked into the health food store feeling so tired that I was dizzy and wondered if I should even be on the road. I said to an employee, "I wish some nice doctor would put me on bed rest so I could have an excuse." To which he replied, "You need to put yourself on bed rest, Lisa." No, no--that wouldn't work. I need someone to tell me that it's OK. I see a counselor each week to help me through this process with my mom's illness while dealing with pregnancy at 43. Last week, I told her how I'm so close to having this baby and I feel like it's time I finally accepted it, got ready for it, and God-forbid even nested. But I felt incredible guilt for not making another trip to visit with my mother. She shook her head, scrunched her face, and asked, "Are you looking for permission?" I replied that I guess I was. She said, "OK then, you have my permission to stay home." My sister has given me that same blessing even while she picks up all of my slack.

Against everyone's better judgement, I drove myself to see my mother last weekend and am so grateful for that "extra" time. Today, I was gently scolded by my doctor. Exhausted and in tears, I explained we had just decided to name the baby (instead of waiting to meet her as we wanted) so that we could give my mother the gift of knowing her granddaughter's name. I told her I did not think I could make another trip even with my husband driving. I fear my mother is hanging on until I have this baby to know we are safe. I fear she will pass away very soon and I will not only not be able to be at her side, but I will miss any funeral. My doctor said, "Are you looking for my permission? You can't travel. You need to rest and get ready. Your mother's determination is out of your control and she would not expect you to travel for a visit or for a funeral. You need to take care of yourself and the baby and you have to let go."

When I was growing up, my mother was the caretaker as most women are. In addition to her three kids and husband, she cared for her own parents as needed and most notably, took care of my father's mother in and out of our home for over a decade. That's all I know. You do what you have to do. And yet, I am in Maine and she is in Massachusetts and I'm about to have a baby. I can't be there for her in the same way she was for my grandparents.

I do not write this to sound like some kind of martyr. My fierce independence, my hangover of BCG (Big Catholic Guilt), my desire to "suck it up," and my deep love and appreciation for my mother are all keeping me from accepting permission. I wish I could conclude this entry with some insight for others going through the process of letting go or of acceptance. I wish I could be more philosophical about death and dying. I wish I could say I've learned a lesson and that I will accept the permisson of my mother, my doctors, my sister, my husband. But the fact is, I don't have this figured out. I think the best I can do is take a Benadryl tonight (doctor's orders) and sleep.

Photo: Grandma after her grandson's first bath.

3 comments:

  1. Your mother is a beautiful lady, Lisa. Look at the delight in her expression as she held her grandson! How blessed they've both been to 'have a little bit' of each other.

    No one can tell you how to grieve, or when. From what you've told me, your mother's greatest gift has been in 'giving'. Selflessly, graciously, and happily. Those are wonderful legacies, and I hope you know that by taking care of yourself, you will giving back to her... your health, and the health of her newest grandchild, which are precious gifts.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. As long as memories of your mother abide within those who love her, she will never be gone.

    Love you.
    Kaz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old friend, so sorry you're having to go through all this at once. I know that your visit meant the world to your mom -- and I also know that she wants you to take care of yourself and your baby now. You've done what you can for her.

    My mom had surgery for a blocked carotid artery a week before my daughter Ellie was due to be born. It all went well, and she went home tired but happy and anticipating a new grandchild. She sat down and had dinner with my dad (a small steak and garlic mashed potatoes; she called me to tell me how good it tasted after hospital food). Then, she sat down on the couch and had a massive cerebral hemorrhage. She hung on in the hospital, on life support, for a week -- though it was clear she wasn't going to get any better. My father and brothers all quietly decided not to withdraw life support until after the baby was born, both out of respect for me and because we all knew she'd want to know. She died two days later, quietly. But I know she heard us when we told her that we'd named the baby Eleanor Jeanne. Her name was Jeanne.

    As a dear friend said to me, "You've experienced every emotion in the human range. I am at once so happy and so very sorry for you." I'll say the same thing to you. I am so happy for your new baby, and that your mom has made it so far. I hope she has the joy of knowing about her new granddaughter before she passes on.

    Hang in there, Nora. You and Scott are Good Ones, and you're doing so very much in this world. Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaz, thanks so much for your kind words. For sure, she is alive in our family. Andy, I remember very well your mom's service. And I remember Ellie was just a newborn. At the time, I was "young" and single and had no idea what the impact of that timing was for you. Thank you for the reminder and for the support and love over the years and now.

    ReplyDelete